Garcinia and pregnancy

Patient

Q: Can Garcinia Cambodia affect a pregnancy test and give a false positive? Only 5 - 500mg tablets taken

Doctor

A:   I do not think taking Garcinia extracts can give rise to false positive pregnancy tests.
Garcinia is a plant and the extract of this plant can supposedly be used for weight loss although the reports about the same are extremely ambiguous.
The plant extract is known to contain high quantities of hydroxycitric acid and this does not mimic the human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) hormone on which the home pregnancy tests are based.
Do not worry; if you have tested positive it means that you are pregnant.