Gardasil Shot After Being Infected with HPV

Q: Can I get the gardasil shot after being infected with one type of HPV? Will it still help prevent Cervical Cancer?

A:   Yes, this vaccine is intended to give protection against certain types of HPV strains that are most commonly related to Cervical Cancer. In my opinion, I would still suggest you to get vaccinated since this would also protect you from warts that might be caused by other types of HPV virus.
You can also lower the chances of getting HPV by being in a faithful relationship with one partner; limiting their number of sex partners; and choosing a partner who has had no or few prior sex partners. If you choose to be sexually active, condoms may lower the risk of HPV infection. To be most effective, they should be used with every sex act, from start to finish.