Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Gasping for air during sleep

Gasping for air during sleep

Patient: I am 35, recently medical results excellent withinThe normal ranges. Yesterday while sleeping i waked up grasping for air while i was swallowing saliva. This happend before maybe 3 months ago. I breath normally without gaps as my wife said but i snore. This happen around 1am and then went back to sleep I waked up around 6 feeling good but around 8 my head started to feel light. Is 12pm and i still feel like this. Should i be worried?

Doctor: This could be a isolated incident caused due to the tongue or epiglottis obstructing the airway during sleep. I would ad vise you to modify your lifestyle by exercise and weight control. If you still have these symptoms, then you may have to see an otolaryngologist for sleep studies.

Guest: my husband does this all the time and I lay awake all night too waiting for him to take his next breath. I have heard that there are problems with the CPAP machines, is there anything that we can do naturally to help with his problem

View all posts