Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Gastric Bypass but Still Overeating

Gastric Bypass but Still Overeating

Patient: I had gastric bypss about 4 years ago. I never lost as much as some people and lately I have been hungry and eating constantly. What can I do?

Doctor: Gastric bypass is usually used as a last resort to correct obesity when conventional methods have failed. It is usually combined with an adjustment in diet and an exercise regime.I note from the list of medications that you are taking Abilify and Lexapro which are normally used for depression. If your depression is not adequately controlled this could explain your overeating. I suggest talking to your psychiatrist or psychologist about your overeating who may recommend counselling or group therapy.