x
152 Physicians Online

Question:

Gastric mucosal abnormality characterized by erythema

I just had an upper GI and was diagnosed with gastric mucosal abnormaility characterized by erythema. A biopsy was taken at the same time and I am waiting for the results. I was wondering if you could eplain to me what this is.

Answer:

I understand your concern about the endoscopy observation. The result that you have from the endoscopy is the description that the doctor made while observing the mucosa, but you dont specify if its form the esophagus, stomach or intestines. I think that the report is describing findings in the bowels.Due to the report, I could only state that any pathology that causes inflammation of the mucosa could be present. That can range from a simple Gastritis to a more complex pathology such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Certainly the only way to rule out the exact diagnosis is to wait for the pathology report. In the meantime avoid alcohol, spicy foods, smoking, and drink plenty of fluids.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.