General Lack of Appetite (Since When I Can Remember)

Patient

Q: I've about lost hope in finding a solution to my situation. While to 99% of the people who I've consulted with it doesn't seem to be a problem because I'm "healthy", I'm mentally and physically distressed.

I'm 29, 6', and currently weigh 140 lbs. I have a general lack of appetite. When I start to eat food, I get full half way through my meal. This hasn't just started - it's been like this since I can remember from my teen years.

I've been to at least a dozen doctors for this issue and have taken many tests: blood work (thyroid, etc) all good, stool sample test all good, upper GI test all good. I have no diarrhea, vomiting or nausea. However, if, when I'm feeling full, I do eat more, I will vomit.

I've been prescribed different types of medication from antidepressants to appetite stimulants, but only one seemed to work: Megestrol. I gained 55 lbs with the help of Megestrol due to being able to eat as much as I would like, plus I was working out at the gym and taking protein shakes and such. However, the side effects of Megestrol were too much to handle. It took just a couple months after going off Megestrol for me to unintentionally lose all the weight that I gained, because my appetite just went downhill again.

I've tried taking multivitamins, alfalfa, and other things that could help, but no results.

My appetite is even less when I have anxiety. But I'm not that stressed out - just normal work and school related stress.

So, being a "healthy" individual, I'm definitely underweight, and the impact of my lack of appetite is mental as well as physical. I'm reaching out to anyone that might have the same situation as I do and possibly found a fix for it.

Doctor