Ask The Doctor > Pending > Generic birth control and weight gain

Generic birth control and weight gain

Patient: Is my generic birth control pill preventing weight loss? I started birth control with a name brand no weight gain at all during entire time on this pill. Due to insurance change I had to switch to generic. Since switching I have experienced a myriad of horrible side effects including weight gain. I did switch generic pills many times before sticking with my current pill for 5 maybe 6 months now. Despite diet and exercise I have not lost weight. The last five weeks I have doubled my exercise and strictly monitored my diet. Last week I cut my calories in half-no weight loss. Not even water weight. Also my thyroid has been checked and is fine. My doctors solution is to switch my pill again, I don’t want to do this as each time I gain more weight in the first week I take the pill. Please help!

Doctor: