Genital Bump on Shaft of Penis

Patient

Q: I'm concerned that I could potentially have genital herpes. I had unprotected sex on a Friday and found a small bump (looks like a pimple) on the shaft of my penis the next morning. The bump itches slightly, does not hurt, no burning, no urination problems. My glands happen to be swollen, however, I found out today that I also have strep throat so that could be why. The bump also "pops" kinda like a pimple when I squeeze it.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is is possible that you could have contracted a sexually transmitted infection that is caused this bump. However, it may be due to another infection other than genital herpes. It is important that you have this bump examined and have a swabbing done as soon as possible to be tested for what could be the possible cause. Once it goes away, it will be more difficult to determine the causative agent of this lesion. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com