Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Genital Warts a sign of STD?

Genital Warts a sign of STD?

Patient: A couple of years back I had a shot for an std, the shot was very hot and painful. Am now planning to fall pregnant with my soon to be husband, I have two warts on either side of my buttocks near my vigina. Could it be a sign of an STD that hasnt been cured???

Doctor: Genital warts are caused by the human papillomavirus (HPV). This virus usually produces no symptoms and hence an infecti on is not always obvious, however, once a person is infected with HPV, the infection is life long. HPV is spread through skin-to-skin sexual contact and not by penetration or exchange of body fluids, and so using a condom does not guarantee protection since the virus can be on an area of skin not covered by the condom. Surgery may be recommended if the warts do not respond to medical treatment, are widespread or the patient is pregnant. In 50% of HPV cases treated with surgery, the warts return. Furthermore, the HPV virus is transmittable even when the warts are not visibly present.