x
79 Physicians Online

Question:

Genital Warts and Surgery

Well me and my girlfriend have sex constantly her ex gave her genital warts and she had surgry to get them removed am i able to catch this even tho she had the surgry

Answer:

Genital Warts and caused by a the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
Surgery may be recommended if the warts do not respond to medical treatment, are widespread or the patient is pregnant.
In 50% of HPV cases treated with surgery, the warts return.
Furthermore, the HPV virus is transmittable even when the warts are not visibly present.
To answer your questions - YES - you are at risk of acquiring genital warts and should practice safe sex in all your relationships to reduce your likelihood of acquiring them.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.