Genital Warts and Surgery

Patient : Well me and my girlfriend have sex constantly her ex gave her genital warts and she had surgry to get them removed am i able to catch this even tho she had the surgry
Doctor :   Genital Warts and caused by a the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) Surgery may be recommended if the warts do not respond to medical treatment, are widespread or the patient is pregnant. In 50% of HPV cases treated with surgery, the warts return. Furthermore, the HPV virus is transmittable even when the warts are not visibly present. To answer your questions - YES - you are at risk of acquiring genital warts and should practice safe sex in all your relationships to reduce your likelihood of acquiring them.