Genital Warts, Bacterial Vaginosis, Pregnancy.

Q: I have had a recurrent lesion in my vagina every time I have had bacterial vaginosis. My doctor says that this is genital warts, but she found bacterial vaginosis on a slide. Would that not make it a pretty good idea to biopsy to be assured that this has correctly been diagnosed? I guess my real question is, is this worth a second opinion with two diagnoses at once? Might I add I am also pregnant, and have not had bacterial vaginosis every time I've been checked by her, until the warts...

A:   Bacterial Vaginosis is produced when the normal balance of bacteria in the vagina is disrupted and replaced by an overgrowth of certain bacteria. This is characterized by an abnormal vaginal discharge with an unpleasant odor. Some women also report a strong fish-like odor, especially after intercourse. Discharge, if present, is usually white or gray; it can be thin. Women with BV may also have burning during urination or itching around the outside of the vagina, or both. However, most women with BV report no signs or symptoms at all. Lesions are not frequently found and that is why your doctor might want to rule out Genital Warts.
Genital warts may cause problems during pregnancy. Warts could enlarge, making it difficult to urinate. Warts on the vaginal wall may reduce the ability of vaginal tissues to stretch during childbirth. Rarely, a baby born to a mother with genital warts may develop warts in his or her throat. The baby may need surgery to prevent airway obstruction. I would suggest you to rule out completely genital warts.