Genital warts while pregnant

Patient

Q: Im 34 weeks pregnant and i have genital warts and i dont know what to do, i am so embarrased to go into labor or scared that i may give them to my baby

Doctor

A:   Genital Warts are one of the most common STD’s produced by a certain type of HPV. Pregnancy may sometimes trigger a dormant infection, or an active infection may worsen during pregnancy.
During pregnancy, the warts tend to enlarge, reduce the ability of the vaginal tissues to accommodate and stretch making a labor difficult to accomplish. Rarely, a baby born to a mother with genital warts may develop warts in his or her throat but could happen and transmission might occur during labor. I would suggest you to talk to your OBGyn and consider a C-section after a detailed evaluation of your warts status. I wish you a successful delivery.