Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Get Plenty of Sleep, but Never is Enough

Get Plenty of Sleep, but Never is Enough

Patient: I am a normal 23 year old male of good health. I get plenty of sleep at night. I exercise. However, I am constantly falling asleep during the day and cannot keep myself awake. The sleepiness is overpowering, and I don’t know what to do (aside from coffee, moving around, and the usual answers). Similarly, at about 10pm, I literally cannot keep my eyes open, even if I’m in the middle of a task. It’s been this way for a couple of years.

Symptoms: Chronic sleep

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is possible that you that your two years of feeling fatigued and sleepy could be due to an endocrinological problem. For example, when one’s thyroid hormone is low, one can experience feelings of excessive fatigue. Based on the description of your symptoms we do not see anything in your current behaviour that would suggest this, however, hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone) is usually detected by a thyroid function test. This is performed by a taking a small sample of blood to measure the level of thyroid hormone. Please follow up with your doctor to be examined and to have this test performed. Hypothyroidism can be easily corrected by treating it with prescription medication to increase thyroid hormone levels.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com