Getting back into active birth control pills

Patient : So I've been on birth control for quit a while now but I didn't have a pack to start with right after my period ended. My period ended last Thursday or Friday, I don't quit remember exactly but it was around then and I finally was able to get a pack for this month. Since there has been in between my period ending and now, should I start the pack now? Or wait? Technically I've missed some active pills but I only missed because I didn't have a pack.
Doctor :   Hello, thanks for contacting askthedoctor.com You should not start the pack now as you wouldn't be protected by the pills. It has to be started from day2 of your menses . So you may follow barrier contraception for this cycle and should start the pack from next cycle. I hope i have answered your query . Wishing you good health, regards