Getting Pregnant and Vitamins

Patient

Q: I heard that prenatel vitamins or folic acid pills will help u get pregnant is that true or false??? cause me and my fiance have been tring to get pregnant for 3 years now.. i have no kids and neither does he

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern about pregnancy. Certainly there is no medical evidence that supports Pre natal Vitamins and Folic Acid being helpful in getting women pregnant, however they are much recommended to take before and during pregnancy to help in the development of the organs and systems of the Fetus, especially the Central nervous System.
If you have trouble becoming pregnant within the last 3 years, I would suggest you and your husband to consult an Infertility specialist for a more detailed clinical history and examination. Infertility is defined as not being able to get pregnant despite having frequent, unprotected sex for at least a year.
Fortunately, there are many safe and effective therapies for overcoming infertility. These treatments significantly improve your chances of becoming pregnant. Commitment from both you and your partner is needed to find the cause and to treat it. I wish you the best.