Getting Tubes Tied And Absent Periods

Q: I havent had a period in over 2 months, had my tubes clamped 12 yrs ago, belly getting bigger and gaining weight but had negative pregnancy tests. what could be the problem?

A:   In theory, getting your tubes tied (tubal ligation) should not have any effect on your cycles. Your periods are controlled by hormones from the hypothalamus, and pituitary gland interacting with the ovaries to produce estrogen and progesterone. The ligation of the fallopian tubes will not interrupt this cycle. A possibility could be due to stress, that causes a small temporary imbalance in your hormones causing a delay in your period. Usually this does not require any treatment other than observation. If you do not have your next periods, then you may be late for an entirely different reason for which you may need to consult your doctor.