Girlfriend has Bacterial Vaginosis

Q: My girl friend was given metronidazole 500mg for Bacterial Vaginosis should I be worried and go get check myselF to make sue I didn't give it to her?

A:   I understand your concern about this issue. Metronidazole can be prescribed for many causes of vaginitis, according to you she had Bacterial Vaginosis which is most likely caused by Gardnerella Vaginalis.
This result from an overgrowth of one of several organisms normally present in her vagina. Usually, "good" bacteria (lactobacilli) outnumber "bad" bacteria (anaerobes) in her vagina. But if anaerobic bacteria become too numerous, they upset the balance and bacterial vaginosis results. This type of vaginitis can spread during sexual intercourse. For this type of infection you won’t need to check yourself, however if the cause of her vaginitis was due to Trichomona Vaginalis, you would certainly need to have an evaluation since this organism spreads during sexual intercourse with someone who already has the infection. The organism usually infects the urinary tract in men, but often causes no symptoms in men. Trichomoniasis typically infects the vagina in women. I hope I could clear your doubt.