Girlfriend has irregular period

Patient

Q: Hi, this question isn't about me specifically but it is about my girlfriend. Her period is late and she is worried that she is pregnant. However, we have never had sex and the only sexual contact we have has been oral sex, and after I have finished we always wash our hands before anything else. Also she is almost always wearing pants when I finish. From everywhere I look there is almost no possible way she is pregnant and I would really like some backup on this one. Now I've come to my real question though. Her period is almost always irregular. It used to be every 5 weeks but now the last two times have been every 7 weeks and finally it has been 9 and a half weeks since her last period. She has been pretty stressed with school and she has been eating more due to the holidays. I've read that these could change a woman's cycle but is that all thats causing it? What other health issues could be causing her period to be as irregular as it is?

Symptoms:  Irregular period
Doctor

A:   Causes of missed periods other than pregnancy includes stress, thyroid disease, b12 deficiency and anemia.

If your girlfriend has had frequent irregular periods, it would be reasonable to do blood work to screen for the above conditions. an ultrasound would also rule out polyscystic ovarian disease.

If the blood work is normal, the cause is likely stress and it would have to be manged better by your girlfriend.