Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Girlfriend is 25 weeks pregnant and I dont think I am the father

Girlfriend is 25 weeks pregnant and I dont think I am the father

Patient: My girlfriend is 25wks pregnant, baby is due on 30th September 2014 to first few days of october. I didnt have sexual intercourse till 21-22 January 2014. By my calculations i cant be the father. Am i correct?

Doctor: Determining the possible date of conception on the basis of the last menstrual period or the ultrasound age of the child is neither easy nor accurate. This is because it is very difficult to predict when a woman may have ovulated. If you have any doubts about the paternity of your girl friend’s unborn child, please speak to your girl friend about the same. This is a serious issue and as it concerns the social, emotional and physical well-being of the yet to be child. Both of you can seek to meet a counselor and he/ she may be able to explain to you the options of paternity testing. Paternity testing is the best option to avoid any emotional or legal issues in the future.Postnatal testing, i.e. testing after a child’s birth, is done through an umbilical cord blood collection at the time of delivery or a sample collected at a lab after the baby is released from the hospital. Either a buccal (cheek swab) or a blood collection can be performed. Various prenatal options are available as well. At a gestational age of 28 weeks howeverNon-Invasive Prenatal Paternity (NIPP) Test is the only option you might have.The process is fairly accurate and is based on methods of preserving and analyzing the baby’s DNA found naturally in the mother’s bloodstream. This test requires only a simple blood collection from the mother and alleged father and can be performed any time after the 8th week of pregnancy.It is admittedly a tough decision to initiate paternity testing. However determining the correct paternity might just save the child from unnecessary emotional and social trauma in the future.