Girlfriend taking birth control the wrong way

Patient

Q: My girlfriend is supposed to take her birth control for 21 days then stop for 7. She has been taking them every single day without stopping for the 7 in between packages. Is this bad?

Symptoms:  Unusual periods lasting a long time.
Doctor

A:   Hi,
Usually one week gap is advised after 21 pills, so that withdrawal bleeding can achieved in these days which mimics normal menstrual cycle.
Taking pills without gap can lead to amenorrhea during these months.
Taking tablets like this for few months may not cause much harm. It can help in avoiding blood loss and in improving hemoglobin levels.
But better to avoid prolonged usage of continuous hormonal tablets which can lead to hormonal imbalance.
Take care.