Glucose tolerance test results: What does it mean?

Patient

Q: Hi there I am a 25 year old, 31 weeks pregnant with second child and recently underwent the Glucose Tolerance Test where I was given 50ml glucose drink after fasting for a few hours and then had a blood sample taken after 1 hour, my result was 8.2. What does this mean? Cheers

Doctor

A:   This means that you do not have gestational dibetes mellitus since your glucose level after one hour of the glucose challenge test was 8.2. This is normal and thus means that at this stage in your pregnancy things are going well with your sugar levels. All the best.