Gluten-avoidance as treatment for Coeliac Disease

Patient

Q: Is Gluten good for you or not? I was told that this no good at all, but do not beleive this, can U tell me yes,or no? We have it just about all of in our food, right?

Doctor

A:   Gluten is a composite of the proteins gliadin and glutenin. It is found in wheat, rye, and barley. When dough made with wheat flour is kneaded, gluten forms as glutenin molecules associate with gliadin, which contributes viscosity and extensibility to the bread mix.  Gluten aids the dough to rise by trapping bubbles of carbon dioxide. Baking coagulates the gluten, which, along with starch, stabilizes the shape of the final product. Therefore it is an important substance in the bread-making process. Coeliac disease is an auto-immune disease where the body mounts an abnormal immune reaction to partially digested gliadin or gluten. Treatment of this disease is by avoidance of all gluten containing foods. If have no symptoms suggesting a diagnosis of Coeliac disease, I see no reason to avoid these nutritious cereal products.