Going in for day surgery in 2 days Had the

Patient

Q: Going in for day surgery in 2 days. Had the pre opp today and they suggested that I not smoke marajuana until after surgery. As I don't actually smoke it but use a vaporizer is it ok if I still partake? Just would like a little to help my anxiety and pain.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

I do not think you should take marijuana before the surgery. This is because you will be getting anesthesia and marijuana can interfere with it.

It will also dry up the secretions which can cause problems and especially when you try to recover from the anesthesia.

Hope this helps you. All the best.