Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Good afternoon Seems like some of my numbers are offmy

Good afternoon Seems like some of my numbers are offmy

Patient: Good afternoon. Seems like some of my numbers are off…my HDL is consistently low even though i don’t smoke or drink. I am a runner and eat a healthy diet even though i don’t eat much good fat. Also my BUN number is always higher than the range. I am 52 5’6 173lbs. Thoughts? Thanks.LIPID PANELCHOLESTEROL, TOTAL 186 N mg/dL 125-200 FHDL CHOLESTEROL 37 L mg/dL > OR = 40 FTRIGLYCERIDES 153 H mg/dL

Doctor: Hi,Welcome to Ask the Doctor. Thanks for your query.I have gone through your question in detail and understood y our concern. Please find my observation below.> I have seen the results of your lipid panel, and here are my findings:- CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL 186 N mg/dL 125-200 F—- which is within the normal range.- HDL CHOLESTEROL 37 L mg/dL > OR = 40 F —which is just less than the normal, but however it is not significantly less.- TRIGLYCERIDES 153 H mg/dL —- within normal range more or less.> There is nothing to worry as such. Follow these tips to cut your cholesterol and get back on the road to good health.- Say no to TRANS FAT, they’re found in fried foods, baked goods (cakes, pie crusts, frozen pizza, and cookies), and stick margarines.- See that you are consuming not more than 1600 calories a day.- Make Physical exercise a daily part of your routine life. Spend at least 10-15 minutes per day in brisk walking, jogging, running, cycling..etc.- Eat a well balanced diet, more of fruits and salads, fish and fiber rich foods.- Use olive oil for cooking food.- Keep yourself free from tension. Do yoga and meditation to relieve yourself.- And yes avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, which you already do.:)Hope I have answered your question in detail.Wish you good health.Take care.

Patient: Thank you. What about the BUN reading below?
UREA NITROGEN (BUN) 28 H mg/dL 7-25 F
CREATININE 1.09 N mg/dL 0.70-1.33 F
BUN/CREATININE RATIO 26 H (calc) 6-22 F

Doctor: Hi.
Thanks for writing back with an update. And you are always welcome.
– Well again your values are that not significantly raised.
– However, you can follow these tips to bring back your BUN levels to a normal range.
– Drink plenty of fluids daily to stay hydrated. Dehydration refers to inadequate water and electrolyte balance in your cells, which can cause high BUN levels.
– Eat a low-protein diet. High-protein foods include red meat, poultry, fish and dairy.
– Avoid stress and tension in life.
– Follow this for 3 months and then get the tests done again to see for any improvement in values.
Hope this helps.
Regards.