Good afternoon Seems like some of my numbers are offmy

Q: Good afternoon. Seems like some of my numbers are HDL is consistently low even though i don't smoke or drink. I am a runner and eat a healthy diet even though i don't eat much good fat. Also my BUN number is always higher than the range. I am 52 5'6 173lbs. Thoughts? Thanks.

CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL 186 N mg/dL 125-200 F
HDL CHOLESTEROL 37 L mg/dL > OR = 40 F

A:   Hi,

Welcome to Ask the Doctor. Thanks for your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and understood your concern. Please find my observation below.

> I have seen the results of your lipid panel, and here are my findings:
- CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL 186 N mg/dL 125-200 F---- which is within the normal range.
- HDL CHOLESTEROL 37 L mg/dL > OR = 40 F ---which is just less than the normal, but however it is not significantly less.
- TRIGLYCERIDES 153 H mg/dL ---- within normal range more or less.

> There is nothing to worry as such. Follow these tips to cut your cholesterol and get back on the road to good health.
- Say no to TRANS FAT, they’re found in fried foods, baked goods (cakes, pie crusts, frozen pizza, and cookies), and stick margarines.
- See that you are consuming not more than 1600 calories a day.
- Make Physical exercise a daily part of your routine life. Spend at least 10-15 minutes per day in brisk walking, jogging, running, cycling..etc.
- Eat a well balanced diet, more of fruits and salads, fish and fiber rich foods.
- Use olive oil for cooking food.
- Keep yourself free from tension. Do yoga and meditation to relieve yourself.
- And yes avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, which you already do.:)

Hope I have answered your question in detail.

Wish you good health.
Take care.

Patient: Thank you. What about the BUN reading below?
UREA NITROGEN (BUN) 28 H mg/dL 7-25 F
CREATININE 1.09 N mg/dL 0.70-1.33 F
Doctor: Hi.

Thanks for writing back with an update. And you are always welcome.

- Well again your values are that not significantly raised.
- However, you can follow these tips to bring back your BUN levels to a normal range.
- Drink plenty of fluids daily to stay hydrated. Dehydration refers to inadequate water and electrolyte balance in your cells, which can cause high BUN levels.
- Eat a low-protein diet. High-protein foods include red meat, poultry, fish and dairy.
- Avoid stress and tension in life.
- Follow this for 3 months and then get the tests done again to see for any improvement in values.

Hope this helps.