Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Good morning, I have recently had a cold off and on

Good morning, I have recently had a cold off and on

Patient: Good morning,I have recently had a cold off and on for about three months. It starts with a sore throat, then sneezing, couch and then ultimately wheezing in my chest. I have always been a pretty healthy person and would rarely get sick Until recently. what can I do to alleviate these symptoms and pent from cathcing another cold?

Doctor: HelloThank you for posting your query to ATDThe problem you have stated is suggestive of upper respiratory infect ion.The cause of sore throat, most of the time is due to allergy and viral infection, it may sometimes get superadded with bacterial infection.The cause of this possibly due to allergy, viral infection, it may sometimes get superadded with bacterial infection.As there is also wheezing and a humming feeling in your chest, it denotes that upper respiratory infection might have travelled down to lungs to cause bronchitis.Steam inhalation helps a lot in such conditions.You are advised to consult your doctorDoctor may start antibiotics, anti-allergic and painkillers.You may also require decongestants, bronchodilators, inhalers and temporary steroids.Taking anti-allergic course and avoiding allergens is the important factor in preventing relapses.You may discuss immunoglobulin treatment with your Doctor.Hope this helps.