Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Goup B Strep diagnosed

Goup B Strep diagnosed

Patient: I have been diagnosed with Group B Strep and I’m a 19 year old woman. I am not pregnant (my period just ended last week), my tonsils have been swollen and painful since Sunday night. I was given Penicillin on Tuesday afternoon and am starting to feel better. Now I’m freaking out I’m pregnant. Is it normal for a healthy adult who isn’t pregnant to get this and how?

Doctor: I know how concerned you are about your recent condition but in my opinion it might be early to diagnose pregnancy since your last menstrual period finished last week according to you.Group B streptococcus is a common bacterium often carried in your intestines or lower genital tract. Although group B strep is usually harmless in adults, it can cause serious illness in newborns. It is not common to develop Group B strep infections in a healthy patient but if you have a medical condition that impairs your immune system, such as diabetes, HIV infection, cancer or liver disease the possibilities increase tremendously.I would suggest you to comply with your treatment and if you have or had unprotected sex in the ovulation days of the current cycle, it would be recommended for you to take a pregnancy test is your menses are a week late from your due date. I wish you the best.