Gout attack in big toe

Q: Gout attack: How long does it normally take from ingesting a trigger substance to produce an attack please?

Symptoms:  gout attack (mild at this stage)

A:   Thank you for your question. Gout is an inflammatory arthritis that is caused by increased levels of uric acid in the body, which then crystallized within articular joints such as your big toe. The time for trigger foods (foods high in uric acid such as organ meats and sardines) to cause a gout attack varies from person to person. This depends on the circulating uric acid levels in the blood, the amount of uric acid crystals in the joint, and the amount and type of trigger foods you eat. In general, gout attacks usually happen within several hours to days of ingesting a trigger substance. During your gout attack, you can take your prescribed medication as needed and stay hydrated with copious amount of water, to prevent future attacks.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com