Grade 1 intrameniscal injury of posterior horn of medial meniscus

Q: Hi i'm 24 years old male. i've injured my knee while playing soccer but i dont know how I injured my knee. I just playing and the next day i felt pain in the knee and it goes on for almost 10 months. When finally I done the MRI the report said : There is mild hyperintensity seen in the posterior horn of the medial meniscus not extending into the articular surface, may be due to mild grade 1 intrameniscal injury. The lateral meniscus appear normal showing no evidence of meniscal injury or tear. Anterior and posterior cruciate, medial and lateral collateral ligaments and medial and lateral patella retinaculum appear intact and show normal intensity. Mild joint effusion is noted. There is no bony contusion seen. Articular cartilage appear preserved. Suspected mild Grade 1 intrameniscal injury posterior horn of medial meniscus with mild joint effusion. What type of treatment do i need? Do I require a surgery? is there any supplement i can take to get better?

A:    Playing soccer implies performing a lot of rotational movements with the legs, these kind of moves if they are repeated and forced lead to a knee lesions as for example: meniscus injury. The menisci are C-shaped wedges of fibro cartilage located between the tibia and femur, and very close related to knee ligaments and attached also to the joint capsule. They are susceptible to get injured with leg rotation movements or rotational forces applied to them, and the lesion produced can be partial or complete tear. A reliable indicator of meniscus lesion is a click or snaps after the joint unlocks, it can be or not associated with pain. A sensation of giving way may occur when the loose fragment becomes lodged for a moment in the knee joint, causing a sense of buckling. Spontaneous healing is common because of the rich blood supply in the menisci periphery. Successful recovery from a meniscal tear is helped by a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. Many meniscal tears heal spontaneously, hopefully this might be your particular case if  your lesion is partial and small tear, meaning Grade 1. With time the symptoms tend to improve. If there is no significant improvement you should get a clinical (orthopedic surgeon) and Imaging (MRI) re-evaluation of your knee. The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises of range of motion and quads strengthening, along with pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), you can also use anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”). And  very important, avoid rotational movements of the knees.