x
158 Physicians Online

Question:

Grade 1 meniscus tear with knee ligaments intact.

Hi I'm 27 male 150 pounds injured my knee very badly this was two months ago did rest for two months and got physical therapy ultra sound and tens and ice did it for 20 days pain is gone but when doctor did a MC Murray's knee test it really hurt when he did a flexion and the skin becomes very tight and shinny and same with If I do more than two repetitions of leg extension I feel pain in center of the joint line and a Clicking sound and I cannot eve pick up a pillow it really hurts in center of joint line and if I walk on a sloped floor I feel pain and quads muscles are very weak I can feel my thigh bone some time my foots two fingers sticks together I have stopped physical therapy all this means this injury in not heal I will and I have stooped workouts for two months I be very very grateful if you can help me Thank you My MRI report says High intensity signal is seen in supracondylar region and upper end of tibia in stir coronal images appears subtle low signal in t 1 weighted images suggestive of bone bruise. mild joint effusion is noted. intact anterior cruciate ligament , posterior cruciate ligament and collateral ligament subtle high intenisty signal in the posterior horn of medial meniscus suggestive of grad 1 tear.

Answer:

The McMurray test is positive because you have a meniscus injury, confirmed by MRI, which also shows a mild bursitis (joint effusion) secondary to the initial injury and integrity of the knee ligaments. The menisci are C -shaped fibrocartilaginous structures attached to the tibia and their main functions to enhance the contact between the two articular surfaces of the knee: femur and tibia ones. The thick outline of menisci allows for a firm attachment to the joint capsule. An indicator of menisci lesion is a click or snaps after the joint unlocks, it may be or not associated with pain. A sensation of giving way may occur when the loose fragment becomes lodged for a moment in the knee joint, causing a sense of buckling. Spontaneous healing is common because of the rich blood supply in the menisci periphery. Successful recovery from a menisci tear is helped by a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. Most of grade 1 menisci tears tend to heal spontaneously. I strongly recommend you keep doing exercises to strengthen your quads

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA