x
77 Physicians Online

Question:

Grade II oesophageal varices. What is the dignosis?

Endoscopy findings oesophagus multiple column of grade II oesophageal varices seen at lower oesophagus Stomach erosion seen in the antrim. Duodndum normal up to the second part

Answer:

Esophageal varices are dilated, tortuous veins within the wall of the esophagus. They are most commonly seen in patients with chronic liver disease that has led of cirrhosis and subsequent portal hypertension. Massive varices may bleed, causing severe hemorrhage, a life threatening complication. Grade 2 varices are enlarged, tortuous esophageal varices occupying less than one third of the lumen. Currently, prevention of variceal bleeding is by using non selective beta blockers to reduce splanchnic blood flow and portal pressure. Foe those who cannot tolerate beta blockers or in whom they are contraindicated, Endoscopic Band Ligation (EBL) is performed.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.