Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Graves Disease and Contraception

Graves Disease and Contraception

Patient: I have graves disease, my thyroid is under control and I want to start taking the concraptives pill. What is the pill recommended for a person with hyperthyroid?

Doctor: I understand your doubt about oral contraceptives and Graves disease. Since your thyroid hormone levels are apparently u nder control, I would say that the best choice for you is to consult your Gynecologist for Progestin only pills since they don’t contain estrogen that might alter your levels of thyroid hormone.Of course you will need to keep following your thyroid hormone levels as indicated by your endocrinologist. Remember to use backup contraceptives such as female or male condoms on the first two weeks after starting your contraceptive pills.