Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Green tea n pregnancy

Green tea n pregnancy

Patient: Hi..m 5.1 week pregnant.its unplanned pregnancy.i was on weight loss program and drinking lots of green teavto reduce weight till 3 weeks of pregnancy but when i got to know m pregnant i stopped drinking it from week 4 and stared taking folic supplements.please suggest would that effect my baby.

Symptoms: Preg

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Taking small amounts of green tea may not harm the fetus.Bu t excessive amounts can lead to decreased absorption of iron and folic acid which are essential for baby’s development.Anyhow, as you stopped drinking now, continue with the pregnancy with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations.Ultrasound at 11 weeks and TIFFA (Targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) at around 20 weeks are mandatory to detect any possible anomalies.Take care.