Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Greenstick Fracture in a teenager football player

Greenstick Fracture in a teenager football player

Patient: Hi my name is nick and i have a greenstick fracture what can i do to fix it because i have a football combine and i cant do weightlifting because it hurts.

Doctor: In the view that you do not specify where the fracture is, my answer will be very general. The child’s bones are softer r and more flexible than those of an adult, so they’re more likely to bend than to break completely. This flexibility can result in a greenstick fracture. In a greenstick fracture, the bone cracks but doesn’t break all the way through — like when you try to break a green stick of wood. A greenstick fracture can be difficult to diagnose, because it may not cause all the classic signs and symptoms of a broken bone. Broken bones, even greenstick fractures, need to be immobilized so that they can grow back together. Casts are the most common way to keep a bone still, but your doctor may decide that a removable splint could work just as well. The benefit of a splint is that you might be able to take it off briefly for a bath or shower. Your doctor may want to X-ray the bone again at a later date to make sure it’s healing properly. Children’s bones tend to heal faster than do those of adults, so your  cast or splint may be removed or replaced with a smaller cast in as little as three to four weeks.