Greenstick Fracture in a teenager football player

Patient

Q: Hi my name is nick and i have a greenstick fracture what can i do to fix it because i have a football combine and i cant do weightlifting because it hurts.

Doctor

A:    In the view that you do not specify where the fracture is, my answer will be very general. The child's bones are softer and more flexible than those of an adult, so they're more likely to bend than to break completely. This flexibility can result in a greenstick fracture. In a greenstick fracture, the bone cracks but doesn't break all the way through — like when you try to break a green stick of wood. A greenstick fracture can be difficult to diagnose, because it may not cause all the classic signs and symptoms of a broken bone. Broken bones, even greenstick fractures, need to be immobilized so that they can grow back together. Casts are the most common way to keep a bone still, but your doctor may decide that a removable splint could work just as well. The benefit of a splint is that you might be able to take it off briefly for a bath or shower. Your doctor may want to X-ray the bone again at a later date to make sure it's healing properly. Children's bones tend to heal faster than do those of adults, so your  cast or splint may be removed or replaced with a smaller cast in as little as three to four weeks.