Group strep b throat infection in 8 year old, questions?

Q: My son was just given antibiotics for a positive cultured strep group b infection. He has burning in his throat and swollen glands. His pedi said that it was an uncommon form of strep. I cannot find one single thing about children and group b strep. IT all talks about pregnant women, vaginas, and babies.
How common is this? Are they right?

Symptoms:  Burning in throat when swallowing, swollen glands

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Strep B is part of the flora normally found in the mouth. It is possible to have it produced in culture. Regardless, the treatment for most streptococci is similar and you need not worry.

Talk to the Doctor and get him treated soon. Antibiotics take time to work and you have to complete the full dose. Stopping in between will make the infection worse.

I hope this helps you. All the best.