Growing hives on chest and neck spreading to face and eyes.

Patient

Q: To my knowledge, I am only allergic to cucumbers. Today after breakfast (I was not eating cucumbers), my chest and neck began to develop large red hives similar to that of when I am having an allergic reaction. I have been drinking water and laying on my couch over the course of the last few hours attempting to flush the hives out. However, they now appear even worse and are beginning to make my eyes red and swollen. I am scheduled to go to work at my bartending job in one hour but my symptoms have not reduced at all. What should I do?

Symptoms:  Swollen face, swollen eyes, red eyes, hives on chest, hives on neck, soreness of affected areas. Swelling and hives have not decreased over time.
Doctor

Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
Ones you are allergic to something, say cucumber, it makes you susceptible to other antigens as well. The hives you had today could be due to allergy to some other agent that you had in food. Try to remember whether you had anything new to eat?
If the hives are not settling down, then you will need to have some anti-histaminics like cetrizine or fexofenadine. And still if the hives don't settle down, then you may require a subcutaneous injection of adrenaline. Not to panic but do seek help as sometimes the situation may go unwarranted. Do report to the ER.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you in future.

Wish you good health!