Growing taller

Patient

Q: I am 15 years old an just recently started my period. Only had two I am 5 2 1/2 and I'm wondering if I will grow anymore. My mom is pretty short but my dad is 5'11. Also any natural ways too grow faster. Thank you

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Growth is determined by your genetic inheritance from both of your parents. Since you are 15, your epiphyseal plates (areas between cartilage and the ends of your long bones) have not fuse. It is therefore still possible continue to grow. However, to determine how much taller is difficult to determine. As a rule of thumb, you can consider that your final height will be between your mother's and father's height however, this may not always be an accurate predictor.
There are no natural means to grow faster. We recommend that you adopt a healthy diet as well as regular exercise to insure the health of musculoskeletal system regardless of what your final height may be.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com