Gum abscess now neck is swollen

Patient

Q: I think i may have an abscess in my gum, and its spread into my jaw and now my neck is swollen what should i do?

Doctor

A:   Infection of the gums, dental caries and periodontal disease such as gingivitis and periodontitis are very common. It is important for you to see your doctor because oral cavity infections can extend beyond the mouth to involve parts of the head and neck.
Infection from the gums may extend to involve the neck. If unrecognized and untreated, these infections can lead to serious complications. I would advise that you see your dentist, who may obtain a specimen for culture and prescribe appropriate antibiotics or may even drain the abscess if there is a collection. A lateral x-ray of the neck or a CT scan will help to rule out involvement of the neck tissues.