Gunshot wound

Q: Hello my name is cynthia brown,1week ago i was shot in my left thigh,with a 9mm gun this also occured when i was in my car.I was taken to the emergency room and treated.unfortunely for me the doctors could not take the bullet out they said it would cause more damage,im having extreme pains in my leg constantly through the day and night the entrance hole is not all the way healed up the bullet traveled up in my leg about 5 or so inches from my pelvic bone what can i do for my pain and how long should it take for the hole in my leg to heal please help...

A:   It will not take much longer for the wound in your leg to heal as long as it does not become infected. As fo the pain you are experiencing this may the result of nerve injury sustained from the gunshot wound. This type of pain is often difficult to treat but there are medicaions which can be used to alleviate the pain. Examples of these medications include Gabapentin and Pregabalin. These medications are only availbable via a prescription, so you will need to see your doctor.