Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Gynomastia for a man in good shape

Gynomastia for a man in good shape

Patient: Hi im a 35 year old male. In good shape and health and I recently got diagnosed with gynomastia. Ive had estrogen/testosterone level tests. Liver function tests but were all came back fine. Im told ‘gyno’ is mostly caused by a hormone imbalance . Ive never taken any drugs/meds that would cause it either. Im worried its something more sinister. But if my tests were clear what else could be causing this?

Symptoms: Hard lumpy sore tender tissue under both nipples. Nipples also extremely puffy.

Gynomastia for a man in goo...-1

Doctor: Thank you for your question.Gynecomastia is a very common problem amongst men. Although there are many hormonal cau ses and medications that have been attributed, it is usually idiopathic, meaning without any known cause. If you have been worked up and had the blood tests from your doctor, and were not a steroid user, then your gynecomastia is likely idiopathic.There are excellent treatments for this condition. You should make an appointment to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can go through all the options with you. Often, we use regular or ultrasound assisted liposuction to remove the excess fat and some of the glandular tissue. If there is remaining glandular tissue after liposuction, a small incision around half of the nipple is made to directly remove the left over gland. Patient usually do very well after this operation and are thrilled with the results.Good luck