Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > H Pylori Treatment

H Pylori Treatment

Patient: Hi: I was diagnosed with H pylori one week ago. The doctor prescribed me Amoxicillin, Tetracycline, Omprazole, and she also gave some Bismuth tables. However, another doctor told me it was not the best therapy, so he suggested I do: Amoxicillin with the other medications followed by a week of Metronidazole. Which one is the best therapy? I’m so confused, and I just want to be cured as soon as possible. Thank you

Doctor: The therapy for H. Pylori is a multidrug therapy in which two antibiotics plus omeprazole is given for a period of 10 to 14 days. Amoxicillin, Clarytrhomycin, Tetracycline and metronidazole can be used depending on your doctor’s preference.I don’t agree with the second doctor in giving you metronidazole alone for a week after the other drugs, like I said before this is a multidrug therapy and needs to be taken continuously and not on antibiotic after the other. I would suggest you to continue with the first treatment. I wish you a prompt recovery.