Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Had periods twice this month or was a miscarriage?

Had periods twice this month or was a miscarriage?

Patient: I have always had regular periods even though i suffer from polycistic ovaries, except this month. my period strated within 2 weeks from the last one and the bleeding was very excessive. please help, what could be the problem? i am 28 years old and married.

Doctor: Periods within 2 weeks of the previous one and along with heavy bleeding may be due to hormonal imbalance, infection or tumour. It may also be due to a very early miscarriage, if there was any possibility of pregnancy due to a contraception failure or may be due to an unprotected sex. If the heavy bleeding continues for more than 3 to 4 days or is associated with severe cramps, fever etc. you might want to see your doctor at the earliest for treatment.Periods within 2 weeks af the previous one and along with heavy bleeding may be due to hormonal imbalance, infection or tumour, but it may also be due to very early miscarraige, if there was any possibility of pregnancy due to a contraception failure or may be due to an unprotected sex. If the heavy bleeding continues for long or is associated with severe cramps, you might want to see your doctor for treatment.