Had ultrasound at 20 weeks pregnant and showed my baby and kidneys were enlarged 5mm.

Patient: Had ultrasound at 20 weeks pregnant and showed my baby boy had both kidneys slightly enlarged at 5mm. Afp was negative. Went back at 26 weeks for another ultrasound and one kidney is 6mm and the other is 8mm. I’m so scared it’s my second baby boy. The first was perfectly healthy.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query,it is understood from the history that the foetal kidneys are enlarged and the pelvical yceal diameter is increasing which is caused by a possible back pressure change exerted by posterior urethral valves. The upper limit of the dilatation is 10mm. If the dilatation is less than 10mm then the pregnancy has to be followed up with repeated scans to monitor the changes in kidney.The availability of intrauterine paediatric surgery can be exploited if the size increases more than 10mm, again the foetal morbidity is high depending on the surgical experience of the paediatric surgeon. so best is to follow up the foetal growth with regular scans 3 weekly hence. You may discuss the options with your physician and take an informed decision .I hope I have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards