Had unprotected sex 21st day of menstruation

Q: Hi Doctor, my question is I had an unprotected sex a week ago after 21st day after my menstruation and had it again the following week, trying to be pregnant but the following day I experienced heavy painful period pains and menstruated, so I wanna know what's happening?

Symptoms:  Sleepy, sore breast and nausea

A:   Thank you for your query.
Unprotected sex on the 21 day of menstruation means, probably you are on a safe day by then. But sometimes even if a woman has regular periods, even then sometimes the ovulation can occur early or late. A week after that will be your day 27, you had another unprotected sex and exactly on the 28th day you had bleeding. Now there are two possibilities here first being if your ovulation has occurred late then probably around this time you may experience implantation bleeding or else if the ovulation was on time you probably may be having your period the second possibility. Now it is little tricky to discriminate between the two but you can try to judge the difference, implantation bleeding will be light, pink or dark brown. Whereas menstrual bleeding will be light initially and starts to get heavy. Implantation bleeding may do just be spotting, for a day or two maximum, whereas menstruation though starts light will be getting heavier. From things you have described it looks lot more that you are having your normal monthly menstrual cycle.
Hope that answers your query.
Have a good day.