Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Had unprotected sex a day after ovulation

Had unprotected sex a day after ovulation

Patient: Had unprotected sex a day after ovulation. A few days later I had extremely bad abdominal pain and where my ovary is the pain went on for a while and got worse. Then what I believe was my period came early. But light. Only showed when I wiped. Then got heavy and was dark red. Then passed blood clot. And has lasted about 3 days. Days for is just spotting when I wipe. Defiantly not my normal period. Could I be pregnant or did i have a miscarriage?

Symptoms: Nauseous, Chills, fever, cramps

Doctor: Going by your symptoms there is a possibility that you could be pregnant and may even be showing signs of a threatened o r incomplete or complete miscarriage. The best way to know if you are indeed pregnant is to do a home pregnancy test. You can follow the instructions on the pack and get tested yourself without any hassles. If the bleeding is heavy, it would be advisable instead to just visit the emergency room. The doctor or nurse will be able to examine and test you more accurately.Such symptoms may also arise out of hormonal imbalances especially in the adolescent age group. Having unprotected intercourse unless you are trying to get pregnant, only complicates matters for you about the symptoms. For now, it is better to deal with the heavy period or miscarriage first before your health is further compromised. Do visit a health adviser or family planning clinic in the future to learn about the benefits of contraception.