Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » Hadsurgery at 11:09 am today Ankle bones were fused

Hadsurgery at 11:09 am today Ankle bones were fused

Patient: Hadsurgery at 11:09 am today. Ankle bones were fused and cleaned from prior break, cannotget pain under control. Have taken 3 pills in last 3 1/2 hours. 2 vicodin, 1 800 motrin. Am at 10 pain. Help footsbeen ekevated above myheart ever since with ice packs behind knee.

Symptoms: Pain

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.Noted your history of uncontrolled pain after surgery for fused ankle bones, in spite of 2 Vicodin, one 800 Motrin, elevation of foot.If the pain is like cutting/burning in character, the commonest cause is sensory nerve entrapment in a stitch or so.If the pain is throbbing, the cause is hematoma formation in a close compartment.Occasionally pain of bone cutting can also be unbearable (hematoma formation under periosteum).It also depends upon the tolerance level which differ from person to person, but the causes I mentioned should be ruled out and corrected if required.I would advise you to consult the operating Surgeon/Nurse so that they can look into it and take further steps if they feel it required or add-on oral/injectable medicines to reduce the pain.I hope this answer helps you to get an early diagnosis and proper treatment.Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you need to or if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Patient: the bandage they put on (ace wrap) was too tight. Kept me up all night. Literally. Hope i have no major damage from loss of blood flow.

Doctor: Pain is a good sign in this regards that the sensory pathway is working and an indication that the blood supply was not hampered too much. Please insist on clinical evaluation of the blood supply now only, so that the further recovery is good.
If the sensation, color and functions are normal, there may not be much of a problem. They would go for color doppler study if required.
Take care.
All the best for early and great recovery.

Patient: Ok. Thank you. Helped at 3:00 am

Doctor: You are most welcome .