Hair growing out of nipple?

Patient

Q: A few days my nipple was really itchy. This morning I woke up and found a hair sticking out of it. Not on it, not around it, coming out of it. I pulled it out slowly with a tweezer and there was no pain and no root on it.. What is this?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The tissue of the nipple can have hair follicles and these hair follicles can also be present within the nipple as well. It is likely that you have a hair follicle within your nipple that produce a hair which you removed. This is something you should not be concerned with. If at any point you develop pain and tenderness, or a bloody or pus-like discharge from your nipple, please see your doctor as this may be a symptom of an underlying infection. Should you use any tweezers for removing hair from this sensitive are, please make sure that you clean them with rubbing alcohol prior to use. This will assist in preventing infection.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com