Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hair loss after surgery for bowel cancer

Hair loss after surgery for bowel cancer

Patient: Hi, i had major surgery three months ago and now my hair seems to be falling out. I am not having chemo although i had surgery for cancer. I am having further treatment tomorrow to remove polyps from my colon. I am wondering if this hair loss could be stress related or due to surgery. I have lost small clumps when showering and loads of hair when brushing etc. I am worried now.

Doctor: I do understand your concern for hairloss. It is most probable that your hairloss is indeed related to the surgery for b owel cancer. Operation on the digestive tract reduces the intake of protein and minerals from the intestines following the procedure. The lack of these minerals and vitamins make the hair follicles brittle and prone to damage.I would suggest that you consult your surgeon and a dermatologist in this regard. It is seen that protein shakes often help in the recovery if solid food are not tolerated.