Hair loss and left pelvic pain on left

Patient

Q: Im losing my hair and its thinning out the last two years ive noticed pea sized lumps on my left side area under my skin between my left lung area and hip. I also have left pelvic pain i was tested for a hernia and it came back negative. Help me

Symptoms:  Pain
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. The hair loss that you are experiencing could be caused by number conditions. First, your thinning hair may be due decreased thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism). Hypothyroidism is a very common condition which affects women your age. This can lead to fatigue, depression, weight gain, and thinning hair. Another possible cause of your thinning hair could be due to anemia. Anemia is caused by decreased red blood cells; this would lead to weakness, fatigue, pale skin, and hair loss. This could be caused by iron deficiency or even chronic illness. The swellings in the area of your chest could be due to inflamed lymph nodes in response to an infection, or could be caused by cysts or benign tumors comprised of fat called lipomas.
Your pelvic pain is a cause for concern. This could be caused by an infection within the pelvis or this could cause illnesses affecting your reproductive organs such as the ovaries, uterus, and/or surrounding structures. Dysfunction of the ovaries can in fact cause hormonal imbalances which can lead to thinning hair. This would have to be further assessed by your doctor with a pelvic exam, pap smear, and pelvic ultrasound.
We strongly recommend that you have a thorough examination and laboratory testing to assist your doctor in elucidating the cause of your illnesses. We wish you a speedy recovery.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com