Hair Loss at 19, RAPID

Q: Hello, I am a 19 year old suffering from rapid hair loss. I do not believe it to be male pattern baldness.
I recently left for college. My diet has been subpar, I suffer from a lack of sleep, for a time I was dehydrated, I have also dealt with stress from classes. I also heard DHT has an effect on hair loss. Self diagnosis leads me to believe it is telogen effluvium.

What could be the cause(s) of my hair loss? I am very worried.

Symptoms:  Hair loss, itchy scalp
Hair Loss at 19, RAPID-1 Hair Loss at 19, RAPID-2 Hair Loss at 19, RAPID-3

A:   Thank you for contacting ask the doctor. Hair loss and itchy scalp can have various reasons/causes.
Hair loss may be a result of -
1. inadequate diet lacking iron and minerals
2. Use of harmful chemicals or hair products.
3. excess stress
4. recent surgery
5. antibiotics and other drugs
Hair growth is a 2 phase process. 1.anogen phase (growth) 2. Telogen phase (arrest phase)
telogen effluvium is a condition when the hair growth is consistently on the telogen phase and skips the anogen phase. You may notice a hair fall of 300 or more per day. the best way to suspect this condition is if there is a lot of hair left on the pillow.
treatment would include managing the cause. healthy eating and balanced diet are essential.

Itchy scalp could have many reasons -
1. dandruff
2. head lice
3. skin conditions - psoriasis lichen planus, ringworm infection etc.
treatment would be directed toward the cause.

in your case, i would recommend a visit to the dermatologist for an accurate diagnosis and required treatment.

hope this information was useful.