Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Hair loss when pulled only without pain.

Hair loss when pulled only without pain.

Patient: My son 14years old healthy has a prob with his hair. When he pulls his hair they can be easily uprooted. It does cause him any pain. They come out with foilces, but they dont fall out on their own. Is it lack of vitamines?

Symptoms: Hair loss when pulled

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.Hair loss can be due to various reasons like:1) Nutritional deficiency: particula rly in growing age group. In addition if diet is not proper , then It can lead to weakening of hair root with subsequent hair loss.2) Anemia- deficiency of iron3) Thyroid dysfunction: both hypo anf hyperthyroidism can lead to hair loss4 ) Recent illness like fever can cause acute hair loss.Visit your doctor so that he can examine and order a test for your son including thyroid profile and hemoglobin levels.Increase intake of green leafy vegetables, milk and fruits in the diet.I hope it helps.Take care.